Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Presidency Lesson

I prayerfully pondered my topic for this lessons as I do for every lesson I teach and felt very compelled to speak about Love and Repentance. At first I wasn't sure how I would tie them together, but I'll try to highlight some of the good parts for those of you who missed it.

The definition of repentance in the Bible Dictionary is as follows: The Greek word of which this is the translation denotes a change of mind, i.e., a fresh view about God, about oneself, and about the world. Since we are born into conditions of mortality, repentance comes to mean a turning of the heart and will to God, and a renunciation of sin to which we are naturally inclined.

I loved this whole concept of "changing one's view". It made me start thinking about love and how we could change our view with whom we come in contact i.e spouse, friends, visiting teachers, etc.

President Eyring said, "Joy comes from putting the welfare of others above our own. That is what love is." We see people the way Christ would see them as we align our will with His. Our “view” of others will align with Christ’s and as we feel of Christ’s love for us we will be able to feel that love for others as well.

Here is the link to where I found the story I shared. The story is called The Visitor.
http://www.mormonsite.org/wisdom/index.html

I have a firm testimony that as we strive as sisters in our relief society to "change our view" and to repent and align our will with the Lord's will that He will bless us. Our relief society will feel united as our love for one another grows and as our testimonies are strengthened together. The Lord loves each and every one of us and as we keep His commandments we will feel of His love. I am grateful to be a part of this relief society and know that the work we do here is only bringing us closer to where we need to be.

No comments: